The school library media center is a resource that complements the educational program of the school through the interaction of professional personnel and the other members of the learning community.
- To provide materials and services which meet the information and recreational needs of the learning community.
- To provide opportunities for collaboration between the library media specialist and classroom teachers to incorporate information literacy into instruction.
- To promote information literacy.
The following objectives have been selected to work toward the overall goals of the Colbert Heights High School Library:
- Students will demonstrate the ability to locate information and materials in the library using common library practices such as the Dewey Decimal System and the online catalog.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to effectively use online resources such as Alabama Virtue Library (AVL) and knowledge of the internet, including online safety.
- Students will effectively use resources when conducting research and choose materials that best meet their research needs.
- Students will read for recreation as well as for learning at appropriate text complexity levels.
The above goals will be achieved through lessons developed to address specific information skills as well as collaborative lessons designed with teachers to integrate curriculum standards and information literacy skills. The media specialist will collaborate with teachers on student research lessons.
- The Colbert Heights High School Library is open from 7:30 am – 3:00 pm when school is in session.
- Library books are checked out for 2 weeks at a time, but can be renewed unless another student has requested the book. You may check out 1-2 novels at a time.
- NO cell phones/electronics allowed during class time. I will tell you when you may have a cell phone out. Otherwise, I should NOT see or hear them. You may not use the outlets for charging devices in library. Punishment will be given for inappropriate use of phones.
- No food, drinks, gum, or candy are allowed in the Library.
- Computers are for academic work only. Students' misuse will result in the suspension of user privileges.
- Use of headphones of any type is only permitted when others cannot hear the music.
- Students are responsible for all library books they check out. Fines will be assessed for damage beyond normal wear. Lost, stolen or damaged items should be reported immediately. When you receive your books please check the books for any damage.
- All books should be returned on time. There are waiting lists for many popular novels and research topics. Please be courteous and know your due dates.
- ALL SCHOOL RULES APPLY IN THE LIBRARY.