New Bethel was built on its present site in 1915. The original structure was a two room wood constructed building. Mr. Charlie Chambers served as the first principal at New Bethel. The first teachers' home in the state of Alabama was constructed at New Bethel School in 1916 but was destroyed by fire in 1918. Donald Isom was principal of New Bethel in the early 1920's. The original building burned in February, 1924. A new building was constructed but again was destroyed by fire in the 1950's.
In the early years, classes were taught from First grade through Eleventh grade. As transportation improved, the Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth grades were moved to Tuscumbia City Schools. New Bethel was then called New Bethel Junior High School.("Olden Times of Colbert and Franklin Counties in Alabama" Compiled by Joyce Mitchell)